Is my Bantam Silkie a rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smahaffey, Feb 6, 2016.

1. smahaffey

smahaffey New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    I have had this Silkie since October (maybe the middle of the month, unsure of exact date as I got a lot of new chicks that month!) This is my first silkie I have ever had & I am having trouble figuring out its breed! Little guy is very sweet, likes to be held & is very small compared to all my other chickens (obviously because it is a bantam I'm guessing). I had 3 others, unfortunately they didn't survive so I can't really compare little guy to other silkies.
    For some reason it won't let me upload any photos of little guy but he is pictured in my main photo.

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    There are some people who are able to sex Silkies really well, but hard to come by. I would say its to early to obvioulsy see a gender and you totally have a silkie or silkie mix.

3. smahaffey

smahaffey New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    I was hoping since little guy is almost 5 months it would be easier to sex him. I have done some research on them but can't find much on just the silkie breed. Before little guy got use to me picking it up, it would bite me & I thought for the longest time it was a rooster but little guy hasn't been aggressive with me or others as it's gotten older. Thanks for your feedback!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    The crest seems rather small for a pullet, so I am leaning towards cockerel, but if you repost pictures in a couple months or get better pictures I might be able to tell for sure.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Really need decent pictures before rending any opinion.

6. smahaffey

smahaffey New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    Like I said, it won't let me post any pictures it says I'm not "authorized". Won't even let me change my profile picture. I had good pictures to post of it. /:

7. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    you just need more posts and then you can post my guess is cockerel because of the small crest but a better pic would better help us determine the sex of your silkie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by