Is my barred rock a cockerel??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ptallabas, Jan 29, 2013.

1. ptallabas

ptallabas New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]I was wondering if this barred rock aka (pepper) might be a cockerel it is very energetic and the others seem to follow it..it also is fearless and loves to jump and fly...what do u think any experts out here..[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. ptallabas

ptallabas New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Hard to say, but notice its wing is a little longer, its possible a cockerel

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Looks like a hen to me, I wouldn't go by behaviour alone, colouring looks more hen like, I have some very bold girls in my flock too [​IMG]

5. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Coloring looks like a pullet, and right now, I don't see anything that would make me think cockerel. [​IMG] But, its still a little early to tell. Try posting pictures in a few weeks.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    looks like a pullet

7. countryhen

countryhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Looks like hen but it's young the way I tell for sure is when they start to cluck or crow but that will be awhile the tail feathers should get long & flare out more than the hens if this is a rooster & most chicks no matter what are very active keep me up to date on Pepper

1 person likes this.
  8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it's not to early to tell if you know what you are looking for...over all coloring, the wash down the legs, an head spot all of which says this is 110% pullet...if it was a cockerel those bars would be way brighter than they are even at this age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by