1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my barred rock a hen or a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jobailey25, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jobailey25

jobailey25 Out Of The Brooder

Her name is Dot and she's about 5 months old. Everyone keeps saying she's a rooster.
    Im really not ok with it and in denial.
    Is it a ROSTER? If so im changing it's name to Spike.
    I may keep it and see what happens. Its really calm right now.
    I looked at several pictures of barred rock's and it looked lik a hen, but now the butt feathers are going long like a rooster! Please help me figure this out.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    cockerel yes...spike...it looks like its got the saddle feathers coming in and the com and wattles are way to big for a pullet

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. jlovelady

jlovelady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Yes Spike is a rooster.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The coloration says hen but everything else says cockerel. I think you should plan on renaming Dot to Spike.

5. jobailey25

Spike it is..whaaaa
    so not ok with it![​IMG]

He's really nice so far will his personality change?
    I'm Really not into eatting fertal eggs?
    I only have 6 hens do I need more?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he's not yet crowing or mounting hens, yes, his personality may change. Research how to treat a rooster. He should be fine with six hens. Just keep an eye on them, look for bare backs and necks. Mating will look pretty violent at first but he will settle down after a few months. You've probably eaten a lot of fertile eggs and not known it. It takes a practiced eye to tell if an egg is fertile or not when you crack it. No difference in taste, etc.

7. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    That is most definitely 100% a rooster. Just research on how to handle them... a bit like dogs as you have to be the dominate figure. Other than that as long as he isn't mean he should be just fine with 6 hens. Also there is no difference between fertile or unfertile eggs.

8. Spike is a rooster. Now about that hen problem, You should be just fine under the condition that you ONLY have 1 roaming rooster.As John Grogan wrote in 'Marley and me' :Two roosters in a flock is one rooster too many. Some roosters will fight mercilessly bloodying themselves for the hens of the flock, so I advise only letting one rooster around the hens.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Definitely a rooster.

10. jobailey25

Thank you for all your help. Its been confermed. I've been reading blogs here since I first got my chicks in November and its so helpful.
    "Spike" just started mounting his first hen. Since I posted this. An he started making some bock bocks not yet cock a doodle do yet.
    He has been so calm and docile true to the bread. If it was going to cock in the mix, i guess he would be the best bread.
    As long as he knows I'm the big HUman Chicken everything will be ok. He still runs to me like im still mama.
    Im not getting any more chickens only 6 will do it just for my family and They make me so happy.
    I was worried about having a backyard rooster since two of my neighbors have them, sounds like more than one each but whatever.
    Thanks for your advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by