Is my Bator a "still air" incubator?

gitlost80

Trigger Pullet
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Reno/Sparks
Hi all. I have a styrofoam cooler as my incubator and I have a Glades scented oil plug in thingy, the kind with a mini fan on it, as a fan inside my bator. Of course its brand new and has never had scented oil inside of it, so dont worry! My question is, is my bator considered a"still incubator" or not? The fan is very small and I put it in there to combat hot/cold spots. Thanks!
26245_bator_002.jpg

26245_bator_001.jpg

Does the small fan really circulate the air inside? If it circulates the air inside the incubator it would be considered a "forced air" incubator. It would not be considered a "still air" at that point.

If the fan doesn't move the air much, it'll still be a still air. Put a thermometer on the incubator floor, and a thermometer at the top of egg height. If those temps are more than a degree or two off, I'd consider it a still air. I've had a still air which had a 5 degree difference from the floor to two inches up. 102 at the top, 97 at the bottom.... which was just fine, because half way through the egg, it was 99.5, the temp you want in a forced air bator.

It really doesnt move enough air to feel it with your hands. It has been 99 around the bottom, and 102 around 3 inches up from the bottom. It usually only reads 100, so I hope that is good enough to hatch healthy chicks. I candled last night(day 7) and they were moving around in their shells.

I actually found "styrofoam incubator" plans on YouTube. I believe theres a bunch on here too. It is a styrofoam cooler-small one, 25 watt lightbulb for heat that is on a regular lamp(or can be purchased at Walmart cheap),a bowl of water for humidity and chicken wire so they cant touch themselves on the lamp. I got a nice digital thermometer that also has relative humidity. They have em at Walmart, but I already had one here. I also got a lamp dimmer switch to make the bulb brighter or darker to help keep temps under control if they go too far up or down(home depot $8). I have put rocks in the bottom to retain heat and help keep the heat at a perfect number.This way, when I open the lid,the temp go back quicker when Im done. I put a white piece of paper up to keep the brightness down(since I could only find a clear bulb,if I could find a white bulb i probably wouldnt need the paper. I have a "glade scented oil" fan inside even though Im not sure it is much help. Also, since my house is quite drafty, I covered my whole set up with a cut up card board box. My temps are very steady.

I forgot to mention, the front is just a piece of glass from an 8inch picture frame.It brought my temps down, so I had to retape styrofoam to the outside of it.
I hope you make one, they are loads of fun and when they hatch you will have a certain pride for making it! Im anxiously awaiting my peeps due the 11th. Good Luck!

26245_new_camera_012.jpg

26245_new_camera_011.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom