Is my Black Australorp pullet a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shawnister, May 19, 2010.

1. shawnister

shawnister New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Seattle Area
    Got two australorps aged 10 weeks from someone who had gotten them from mail order chicks. A rooster was already identified in the batch, and I took the two pullets. Now they are about 15 weeks old, and one is definitely going to be a nice round hen, but the other ... I'm starting to worry. Pullet points - very submissive to Miss Fat Hen, quiet, has never crowed, small. Rooster points - skinny and a really big tail! I don't know about the comb, I'm a chicken newbie. Also she/he has green eyes, but the other pullet has large dark eyes. Any help appreciated!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the tail, especially compared to her batch mate.

[​IMG]

Chicken in question is in the front in this picture.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    They are both pullets, but do not look like Australorps. The one with the white earlobe and yellow beak is not an Australorp. What is your location, it can help narrow it down. Appears to be a Black Leghorn at the moment, even with the black legs.

3. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Yup - both pullets
    The one you're not questioning is probably a black australorp, but the front one definitely isn't

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

5. shawnister

shawnister New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Seattle Area
    This is a great forum - thanks for the quick posts! Big sigh of relief -- my young daughter is unfortunately aware of what happens to city roosters! I'll post pictures when she's bigger to see if there are more ideas on breed (we won't discriminate if she aint an "Astrolorp"!) - we are in the Seattle area.

6. shawnister

shawnister New Egg

May 19, 2010
    Seattle Area
    I contacted the woman I got the chicks from, and she said they came from the Macmurtry Rainbow pack, and could also potentially be a Jersey Giant or Black Minorca. I might have to widen the coop!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    With white earlobes, it's a minorca.

And they're both girls.

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Except Minorcas do not have any yellow on their beaks. They are a white skinned breed.

9. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Australorps tend to have mostly black eyes as well...

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I wonder, does the one have a white earlobe or is it just the flash from your camera making it look that way?

I don't think Minorca on the one because my Minorcas do not carry their tails that way. Mine are the same age and their tails still slope downward, not up at all. The earlobes are much bigger and brighter as well as the combs on both males and females.

Last edited: May 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by