is my black australorp still a pullet...24 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by winniem, Oct 3, 2012.

1. winniem

winniem Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2012
    I was initially concerned because she was much more developed than my other of the same age:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/706488/black-australorp-pullet-or-rooster/10#post_9619892

Now, the less mature pullet has caught up, and is the only one of the the two to "squat" "squatting" - neither are yet laying.

Pullet in question:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

Then, I became very alarmed when I noticed that my 2 leghorn hens that ARE laying (as of two weeks ago) appear to be laying fertilized eggs...how?

[​IMG]

Based on looks, I think both of my australorps are hens. But, what wth the fertilized egg? And if they are girls shouldn't they also be laying by now?

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yes, that is a beautiful pullet. She just may be taking a little longer to start laying. She looks like she is ready to lay, judging by the size and color of her comb and wattles.

Edit-
    I don't think that that egg is fertilized. I don't see a ring inside the spot.

Also, your other Aussie is also a pullet, I can see her tail feathers in the back of the photo. By that age they should have distinct saddle feathers and sickle feathers.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All pullets.
    That Aussie looks like she should be laying. Do they free range? If so, you need to go on an egg hunt!

That egg doesn't look fertile to me. A fertile egg has a bullseye, I only see a dot.

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    that egg is not fertilized.
    [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop