Is my "Blanch" a roo? A cuckoo marans question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tjward5, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tjward5

tjward5 New Egg

Nov 2, 2009
    Tacoma, Wa
    This is "Blanch" or at least I thought...here she/he is at 5.5 weeks. She/he is a cuckoo murans that we bought from our local grange farm supply. Within a week of getting all of our new chicks, (all were 3 days old) this one was almost twice the size of all the other three with a much larger comb! Also much more aggressive and protective of the other chicks. I have been pretty sure it's a roo since then but would love more opinions before I find him a new home. Our city doesn't allow any roosters in limits. I'm also super bummed as we were greatly looking forward to the dark yummy eggs...[​IMG]

2. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I think its really too early to tell but I have had chicks like that were they are much bigger than the others and more agressive that turned out to be hens! So just wait and you should be able to tell in a month or so

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I'd be really surprised if that one ever lays an egg. The head spot is huge, the stance is very upright, the pattern is pretty close to barred rather than the messier look the females normally have, and the feathering is slooooooow. I wouldn't give it away just yet but I would have a plan in mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by