1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my BLR Wyandotte a girl or boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by herechickchick, May 19, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I think she is a girl. Fully feathered at about 4 1/2 weeks old (she is close to 6 weeks now). What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I am sooo new at this, but if I guessed i'd say girl. Wouldn't she have waddles by now if she were a boy? Hope you get some answers

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Well have you had her since a chick? It's my understanding that the roos are dark like this:

[​IMG]

and hens are varying shades of lighter like this:

[​IMG]

It looks like a hen to me, but not sure

and from Feathersite:
    this says it's a roo
    [​IMG]
    and this a hen:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2008
  4. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Yes I hatched her and she was very light.

[​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'll go against the flow and say cockerel. I see pink wattles and pink in the comb unless that's a trick of the light. At four weeks, I'd not think you'd see pink yet in a Wyandotte pullet, would you? And I've seen light and dark in both sexes.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I"m tending to agree with Cyn. I've found tho that there have been some of my BLRW that it took forever...or it seemed like forever.....to know for sure. I've got a hen that I was sure was a roo for the longest time. I've never heard that chick color can help you sex them. If it's a light color chick it'll be a light blue or splash...dark chick will be dark blue....I haven't found it has anything to do with the color of them. I would say tho that with that much red in the wattles already I'd say roo at this point in time.

7. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Cynthia she/he is about 6 weeks now and the photos were taken today, she/he was feathered out at 4 1/2 weeks (he/she feathered out very fast which I thought was strange because I have never had a wyandotte fill out so quickly). I fear it may be a boy as well but I am hoping for a girl.

8. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    All rose combs are hard to tell at an early age.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Here's a picture of one of my pullets at 7 weeks
    [​IMG]
    And one of my roos at the same age
    [​IMG]

10. herechickchick

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Yeah she is looking a little rooish isn't she.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by