Is my bossy hen crowing or is she a rooster?

Stargazerranch

Hatching
12 Years
May 27, 2007
Hi:

My Ameraucana hen Hillary started making crowing noises a few days ago. She is 2 months old now and currently the boss of the other 11 hens (she doesn't know yet that the others will end up being double her weight
wink.png
).

I can't see much of a difference between her and the other hens and would really be surprised if she turned out to be a rooster. The only thing is that her comb is a bit redder than that of my other Ameraucana.

Can it be that she is crowing to show off her dominance?

If she is a rooster what do I need to look for?

Thanks!

I don't think she's a rooster. a lot of hens do crow for some reason lol
Has she started laying yet? The redness in her comb might simply be the natural thing that happens to egg laying hens, or when they are about to lay, their combs/faces turn red. Our young red star hen, Cinnamon, has a pretty big comb, but she's a hen because she lays eggs. So it may just be because she is developing faster, too. And yes, she is probably showing dominance over the other hens. Please post a picture of her if you can! That would help!
wink.png

Good luck!
smile.png

It's not a full crow (yet?), more a training crowing. If that's the best she/he can do, I got a pretty pathetic roo...

hens crow too, just not as much. But some signs of a rooster are:
long, curved tail feathers.
large comb(but some hens have pretty big combs)
actual crowing(not just loud cackling)
and that is all I really know. There are much more signs. hopefully someone can give you more advice.
wink.png

oops just saw that she is 2 months old.
roll.png

if she was a rooster, I think she would be crowing better by now???
hmm.png

Last edited:
2 months old? You have a boy!

If she was 2 years old, lead of the pack, and looked like a girl, laid eggs, and then crowed... that's different.

But at 2 months old, he's an early bloomer for some breeds! At 2 months old, boys and girls can look pretty similar. Any red in a comb or even pinkining is a good sign of boy. In the next few months, you'll be able to see sickles and hackles growing in too.

ya you may be right....I just now realized that she was 2 months and thought, "wait. she couldn't be getting red in the face right now from beginning to lay eggs!" silly me. Ya I guess you got a rooster maybe. But please do post pictures.
wink.png

Just watch and see if her comb gets bigger and if spurs start popping out. PLEASE post pics.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom