Is my Brahma show worthy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Rijolt, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    He originally belonged to my friend's mother, but I have claimed him as my own. He's about 2 and a half now, and he's dark colored. Friendliest bird you will ever meet! Well, not if you are a four year old, or dog...

Anywho, his name is Boots (Bootsie or Bootsie-boo), and I've been interested in cluckens my entire life of nearly 21 years. I want to show him In the Boston Poultry Show for next month. Not only do I not know how exactly to enter, but he may need a lot of sprucing up to be show worthy.

Here are some pics of him (and me, in a few.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Random facts:
    On a good day, he can crow on demand.
    I want to train him to be on a leash, so I can strut him around. XD I think he can do it... After awhile... Mayhaps. Unlikely. Trying anyway.

ALSO: Boots is currently molting, so he looks like a ragged pincushion right now. I'm assuming his plumage will be back in full soon-ish.
    If anyone wants, I can get a more current, better side-view of him tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

He looks really pretty to me, but how are his feet? Are his legs nicely feathered?

3. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Fairly. Not as poofy and regal as some, and that's why I offered to take more pictures.~ But feathers are on the middle toes, as well as flowing own his leg. (Thank you for responding, by the way. <3 )

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  4. aoxa

His tail, hackles and comb all look really nice, but the wings are a bit funky in colouring comparing him to some show brahmas. I'd say enter him anyway. It's really fun, and you will get feedback from real poultry judges on his quality - which is worth it.

5. Rijolt

Rijolt New Egg

Oct 4, 2012
    Oh? Funky colored? I'll look in on that. But yeah, it'll be fun to enter him. :3

6. aoxa

[​IMG]
    Here is a dark Brahma rooster - see the wing? That's where I notice your boy looks different.

[​IMG]

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    He's a very pretty & obviously well cared for male but he doesn't project the massive presence of a Brahma. His head is weak. A good Brahma has a very broad skull. Also his shanks should be more heavily feathered.He may be a little long in the back but since he's not posed well in any picture that may not be the case. I'm not seeing a big problem with his wing color but hackle & saddle are probably a little whiter than you'd really want. All in all I'd say he's a better than average hatchery type bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by