Is my brooder box the right size???!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amelia123, Mar 26, 2015.

1. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Hi Everyone!

Okay, so I just got 8 Barred Rock pullets today that are apparently 2 days old (and I believe that since most of them are as tall as my index finger is long!!!![​IMG]) and I'm wondering if their brooder box is the right size for all 8 of them. The brooder is like 5 feet long and around 2.5 ft wide.

Oh, and I know that Rocks have a reputation to be a "bit" noisy....However, there is this one chick that is chirping quite loudly, as though she is in distress. I use a red heat lamp and I don't think that she's cold because they're none of the chicks are huddled under the heating lamp. I also don't think that she's hot because the heat only takes up 1/3 of their brooder. She has availability to food, fresh cold water, heat, coolness, and right in between the cold and the hot. I'm trying to go to sleep soon but she won't quiet down!!! [​IMG] Is there something I can do??? Is she just a naturally noisy little chick??? Thanks!!! [​IMG]

Here's a pic of their brooder...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. Julia62

Julia62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Reno, NV
    That seems like a good size to me, but I am new to the little ones. I have mine in a bath tub which is probably about the same size. They only thing I might do is move the water and feed to the opposite end from the heat so the water doesn't get too warm. It was also recommended to use paper towels on top of shavings for a bit to keep them from eating any shavings which I did and it is easy to clean up. I just today removed half of the paper towels and just kept it under water and feed to keep it clean.

Not sure on the noisy chick though! Our chirp but that's about it. Ours are 8 days old now.

3. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Okay!! Thanks!!! The chick has quieted down some so that's good!!![​IMG] And I will move the food and water away from the heat lamp . Thanks for the paper towel tip!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by