Is my brooder ok?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SunsetMeadow, Jan 19, 2014.

1. SunsetMeadow

SunsetMeadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Well this is my brooder, it's where I keep my chicks, obviously it's not for new born chicks, but I would like some tips in how I can make it better? Also, the brooder is on the most warm room of the house

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you may need a bigger brooder as the chicks get older...

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    What is the temperature at chick level? How old are your chicks?

4. SunsetMeadow

Jan 16, 2014
    Yeah I thought that too, maybe I should start making it

They're 12 days old, the temperature is 20° Celsius

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    That converts to around 70 degrees farenheit. Chicks need temps of around 85-90 at that age - starting at 95 degrees when hatched, and dropping the temp around 5 degrees per week. Your chicks need an area that is much warmer; in addition your brooder looks like it would be drafty and chicks do not tolerate drafts well. Covering the sides would decrease drafts and help keep the heat in with the chicks.

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Nice home made brooder but the temp needs to come up a bit maybe wrap it with some towels fro the first couple of weeks [​IMG]

7. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    My husband is building brooder room in my basement we have an old coal storage area 12x12. With wall 4 foot high it has heat from boilr pipes in the ceiling. Taking foam insulation board. To make walls all the way up . Using a old wood toddler bed as a rack to hold 3 big tubs. It is the sleigh type so going. To clamp the light right. To bed frame. Screen tub lids. After cutting out center ..we raise rabbits also so if I have kits when it is cold they can go in that room also.

8. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I second the previous people in saying they need a lot more heat for the first couple months. And also a bigger brooder. This one they will outgrow very quickly.

9. bcfd2004

bcfd2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    Oklahoma
    What kind of bulb is that in the lamp? Looks like one of those useless ones the govt insists us common folk use but is actually good for very little and produces practically NO heat! LOL I was using one of those in our coop to extend daylight savings time hoping to increase egg production. When it turned cold we lowered it to provide the hens a more comfortable temp thinking maybe they would go broody. The bulb was so cool I could take it out without turning the lamp off...proving they are good for very little. Swapped it out for a 60 watt incandescent and all is right with the world in our coop. We just got a batch of chicks in today. Using a rubbermaid tub and a 250 watt heatbulb for 15 chicks. keeping it between 95-100* and they are very comfy with lots of room to get away from the heat. Warm the water before giving it to new chicks, cold water lowers their body temperature. Add some grogel to replenish their fluid. Some even add sugar, gatorade or other vitamin supplements. We bought vital pak to use in addition to grogel. Good luck!

10. SunsetMeadow

Jan 16, 2014
    Thanks I'll do that

Quote:
    Thank you! [​IMG]alright
    Ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by