Is my broody a bust?

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
Last summer my hen hatched two sets of chicks, one in May and another set in August. She went broody again a couple weeks back and so I put fertilized eggs under her. Day 22 and no chicks. I noticed that she sometimes would get up and spend a good 15 minutes at least some days off the nest. Last summer she hardly came out at all when she was broody. Could be cold exposure during those times have delayed development? Or perhaps even stopped the eggs from hatching entirely? It has been chilly this time of year compared to May and August . She has also been booted of the nest a couple times by a hen who wanted the eggs to sit on, but I think I have put a stop to that. The last time that I candled was day 12 and they seem to be developing just fine. Is it OK to reach under her and feel around? Is it possible that they will not hatch and that this broody is a bust this time?

Last summer my hen hatched two sets of chicks, one in May and another set in August. She went broody again a couple weeks back and so I put fertilized eggs under her. Day 22 and no chicks. I noticed that she sometimes would get up and spend a good 15 minutes at least some days off the nest. Last summer she hardly came out at all when she was broody. Could be cold exposure during those times have delayed development? Or perhaps even stopped the eggs from hatching entirely? It has been chilly this time of year compared to May and August . She has also been booted of the nest a couple times by a hen who wanted the eggs to sit on, but I think I have put a stop to that. The last time that I candled was day 12 and they seem to be developing just fine. Is it OK to reach under her and feel around? Is it possible that they will not hatch and that this broody is a bust this time?
Candle them tonight. Put them to your ear and listen.
It's normal for a hen to get off the nest daily to poop, eat, drink, stretch and maybe get a dust bath in before returning to the nest.
Where did you get the hatching eggs? How many are under her?

It's normal for a hen to get off the nest daily to poop, eat, drink, stretch and maybe get a dust bath in before returning to the nest.
She is Orpington and has nine eggs under her but they are small silkie eggs. I candled them and they are opaque. Air sac and maybe I could see A little veining around the edges, but it is pretty dark. I didn’t hear any chirps or see movement though. Started incubation on Wednesday, 31 March. I can never remember where to start counting but it seems like Tuesday or Wednesday they were supposed to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom