1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my Broody hen hungry???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluck love, May 12, 2011.

1. cluck love

cluck love Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Northeast - very rural
    I have my first broody hen who I never see leaving the nesting box. I am worried she is not eating or drinking, what do I do?

2. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Usually they will eventually come down off the nest for a few minutes at a time to eat, drink, and poop. She may be doing it when you're not there. If you're that worried, you can try to put some food and water close to her. When my broody first started sitting, I'd go out there a couple of times a day and offer some food and water (I just held it up for her for a minute or two or until she lost interest). Then when I was finding unmarked eggs in the nest (I marked all the ones she was sitting on at the beginning), I knew she was getting up and didn't worry about it anymore. Their instinct is usually pretty good though, and while they can lose weight, most are not going to starve themselves.

3. PhoenixAngel429

PhoenixAngel429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    East KY
    Quote:Leave her be, she will eat and drink when she feels like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by