Is my broody hen sick???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5cutechicks, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    my silkie hen has been setting on eggs for about 8 days now, ( we have never hatched eggs before so I don't know if this is normal) her little eyes keep getting all boogied shut and I notice a little drainage from her nose. This is the first time we have let her have eggs to hatch she has been broody all winter, so bad that some morning I would have to dig through the straw down 5-6" to find her because she'd burry herself in the coop! So several times when she's done this I thought she was sick with a cold and treated my whole flock (0f 7 total) with antibiotics. But the last 2 times I didn't because I thought maybe it was just all of the straw and it passed just fine. Now knowing she'll have to set on these a a while longer I'm worried it could harm her! Anyone ever have this happen?

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    If it's extremely dusty I could see it causing eye and nose runny problems but straw isn't typically dusty. Sounds more like she has a cold and I'd treat her for it. It shouldn't affect her being broody and when a Silkie decides she's broody you can believe she's going to stay that way! Good luck with her and the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by