Is my Buff Orpington pullet a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slaird61, Dec 13, 2010.

1. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    I ordered 3 Buff Orpington pullets from Ideal 6 weeks ago. I'm afraid one is going to be a roo since he/she has a bigger comb than the others. Here are two photos of him/her. In the second photo you can see him/her compared to another Orpington. What do you all think? Roo or pullet?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I do believe so! You got a little cockerel!

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes that is a roo!

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Looks like it to me.

5. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    Well dang! [​IMG] Do you all think he is a roo because of the larger comb and little wattle? Are there other signs to look for?

6. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Roo. Other than the larger comb and wattles start watching behavior. I have noticed at least with my young roos that they would be the first ones to come up and investigate new things. Mine tend to stand more upright than the pullets and act more aggresively than the others.
    ETA: Also if you look at your pictures the one we are calling a roo has more red to his comb and wattle while the other one has more of a orange color to it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Your BO looks like a pullet to me.

Okay...I feel like a broken record, but I'm going to mention it again...out of my 3 BO chicks I got last February, one had THICK legs, a larger comb, and a more assertive personality. It now lays 4-5 eggs a week for me. [​IMG] Until you see the longer hackle/saddle and tail feathers...DON'T count it out as anything but a pullet!

8. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    Well MuggsMagee, thanks for giving me hope. [​IMG] Maybe he'll turn out to be a she like I ordered. That would be great! If not, I'm sure I'll find a good home for him somewhere.

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:BO's are beloved by so many...I doubt you'll have a hard time placing it if she is a "he"! BTW...one of my BO's is my all-time favorite! If I could get away with having a house chicken, she would be the one! [​IMG]

10. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I think pullet also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by