Is my button quial a Boy or Girl

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Jul 3, 2010.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    OK, so I have these button quials for about 4 years now, I Thought to be a pair, then two female and then a pair again...Ect.

Well about two months ago, the definate female died ( I know It was a girl because she was broody and saw her lay egg)

Every year I get soooooo many eggs, I cant possibly think that one quail laid them all so I thought the other one was a female for a couple of reasons, but i think its a male for a few reasons as well

Femaleish:
    I think it lays eggs
    when the hen went broody, no eggs hatched ( I cracked one to see after 18 days, all infertile)
    when i incubated ( all infertile)
    Its has sort of bib is tan not white
    never see them mating ( i had button quails before and they would mate all the time)

Maleish :

IT CALLS/ CROWS (the laughing kind)
    Its has sort of bib is tan not white

whats your opinion, Male or female ?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If it says he he he he he, its a girl.

3. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    Boy button quail say more "kyuuuu!" and girl button quails say, "HEEE hee hee hee."

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Unless they are white- the male will have rusty red vent feathers (not cinnamon but brick red). Females never display this color and all colored males do.... of course white wont have coloring on the vent and silver birds will have a pinkish color vent in males only. Again.... the pinkish color is never displayed in females.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Wrong! Both males and females do that. The male-only crow is the thing that sounds like the wind blowing. If it has red, rust, or pink colored vent feathers, then it's a boy. Bibs are not indicative of sex, I've had bibbed silver females.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Almost right, a pure silver (not silver X redbreast, cinnamon, etc.) does not always have the colored vent feathers. But you're right, the females never get these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by