Is my cage big enough for two robo hamsters?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PerfectPlumage, Feb 1, 2016.

1. PerfectPlumage

PerfectPlumage Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a huge cage. It is one huge aquarium (At least 35 gallons) and 2 bin cages. It's all connected with hamster tubes. I have a ton of hideaways and hiding spots too. I only have 1 food bowl and 1 water bowl, will I need to have 2 of both? Will they fight and claim the different cages as their own? Is my cage big enough? (The bin cages are both about twice the size of a critter trail cage)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Are they both the same sex, I had a few hamsters but never really go into them enough, I'm sure there's someone on here that keeps and breeds hamsters and can help you out more, if it was me I would try it and see, otherwise other rodents like gerbils and mice, like living together, I believe hamsters are more solitary.

And this forum is other pets and livestock, so hamsters fall into the pet category, feel free to ask all you want.

3. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Found a couple of pages for you with a quick search.

While robos are tiny, they are extremely active and need just as much space as larger hamsters. I can't see your setup, but if some of your tubes are straight up and down they may have difficulty climbing them. Also, with an aquarium and plastic bin, there isn't much ventilation, so make sure they get plenty of air exchange (opening the lid often) and keep an eye on temperature.

I would have two of each water and food dishes, just in case. Better safe than sorry. It sounds like the setup is large, but without seeing it myself I can't say one way or the other. Make sure there are a lot of toys and such for activity; they'll be less likely to fight if they're busy.

I have never owned robos; this is just what I got from the few minutes of googling.

http://www.roborovskihamster.co.uk/roborovski-hamster-cages

http://www.oakfarmrabbitsandrodents.co.uk/robo/housing.html

4. PerfectPlumage

Thanks for the info. Btw the bin cages have big wire "windows" and the aquarium will have a wire lid. Oh, one more question. Do I nee 2 wheels?

5. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I think one wheel would be fine, but it doesn't hurt to have two.

6. PerfectPlumage

Okay, thanks. Btw I am getting 2 females. :)

7. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, did you get them? I've kept a few robo's and know a lot about hamsters if you need any help with anything :)

8. smellslikechaos

smellslikechaos Just Hatched

Jul 9, 2016
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Sorry for the threadjack but I have a question actually. I was considering getting a robo maybe a rat, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. What is the maintenance like? How friendly are they? Which pet do you think would best suit me?

9. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey :)
    Both Robo's and rats are very sociable creatures and need the company of their own kind. Robo's can live on their own (My two male robo's began fighting and had to be split up. This is pretty rare but does happen from time to time.) but I wouldn't recommended it. When kept in pairs or small groups (Always go for even numbers, two, four etc.. you really shouldn't be keeping more than four robo's in the same cage, unless they have a very large habitat.) robo's will play with and groom each-other, gathering food and snuggling up together to sleep. It's very entertaining to watch them, I would sit for hours watching mine.

Now to your other questions:
    How friendly are they? - Each Robo is different (My larger robo was very laid back and once he had grown to trust me, would let me scoop him up and pet him. But his brother was the complete opposite, and would run and jump whenever anyone came near.) but in general, robo's are very skittish and do not like being touched. I didn't handle my robo's very often, and preferred to just watch them as it wouldn't stress them out.

What is the maintenance like? - This really depends on the setup you have. I have an IKEA detolf - which resembles a very large glass tank when placed on its back. I have tried many different substrates over the years, and the best by far is a hemp bedding I found online on a site called 'Zooplus' (They deliver all across Europe), however if you are in the US you should have easy access to aspen shavings, which would also work well. Never use softwood shavings as the chemicals in them can cause all kinds of health issues; also, never buy fluffy, cotton-like bedding, as this can kill your small pet if it becomes lodged in their throat. It also doesn't dissolve and so can cause them to become constipated if swallowed. Unscented toilet paper is a perfect nesting material.
    A large cage, such as an IKEA detolf, whilst more expensive in the short term, is actually far more cost effective in the long run, as it does not need to be fully cleaned each week, and can be spot cleaned instead. (Removing surface bedding, and cleaning any toys, food dishes etc..) A full clean out can take place once every month or two (depending on substrate depth) where all bedding will be removed and discarded. On a side note, hemp bedding makes great compost. Buying in bulk will also help to keep the cost down. (Avoid buying from brands like carefresh to save money.) Once you have the initial setup it really is very easy to maintain. I used branches, logs, wooden tunnels, rocks and a variety of other things to recreate their natural habitat as best I could. Robo's love sand, and will roll around in it to cool down and to remove the excess grease from their fur. My hamsters had beautiful coats because I always provided them with a large sand dish. Top tip - use a sieve to remove debris from the sand and to make it last longer.

I have never owned rats, but did do quite a bit of research on them as I was interested in getting some. Rats are much more intelligent than hamsters and can learn their name, coming to you when called; you can also teach them tricks. However, rats are harder and more expensive to care for. It really depends on what you want from a pet, and how much space, time and money you have to spare.

Hope I was able to help :) I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by