Is My Cayuga a Boy or Girl?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Finny, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Finny

Finny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    I have two Cayuga drakes or at least one definite drake ( he has a curled tail feather and has the raspy quack of a drake). At first I thought the other one was a drake as well until I saw white feathers coming out from under "his" wings. And I noticed "he" does not make much noise besides for the occasional mumble and VERY rarely does "he" make a loudish noise. And when "he" does, "he" sounds like the other drake. My question is, is "he" a girl or a boy? I was convinced "he" was a boy until I read that the girls can have some white feathers.
    Thanks

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    But the noise your describing sounds more like drake. How old are they ?and [​IMG]

3. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    They are about 17 weeks old. And also "he" does not have any curled tail feathers like the other one does.

4. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks for the welcome:) This may sound like a stupid question, but is it possible for a duck to sound kind of like a drake sometimes?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well he could be a late bloomer, lol ducks quack very loud so pick this duck up and if it quacks loud then you have a girl if it sounds like it's got a cold and is raspy then it's a drake. I found this thread you could talk to some one who has this breed also https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/692724/proud-cayuga-owners

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  6. Finny

Jan 5, 2014
    Ok thanks for the help:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by