Is my Cayuga okay??

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
A couple questions! I have a Cayuga drake that's about 26-28 weeks. I have seen him stand up straight and (I guess you could say) wheez...Is this normal??? The second question is, like a rooster, do drakes go through some kind of mean stage? Every morning I squat down to pet him and he tugs on my shirts. lol Get's me all muddy! Can't tell if he's angry or not lol Thanks

A couple questions! I have a Cayuga drake that's about 26-28 weeks. I have seen him stand up straight and (I guess you could say) wheez...Is this normal??? The second question is, like a rooster, do drakes go through some kind of mean stage? Every morning I squat down to pet him and he tugs on my shirts. lol Get's me all muddy! Can't tell if he's angry or not lol Thanks
Is he wheezing more than one time? doing it alot ? does he have a bucket of water to wash his face and nares[nose] out? and the other part of your question is he is acting very normal my drake who was an only hatched duckling does the pulling on my shorts shirt whatever he can get ahold of, just don't let him start biting you which is another very typical thing drakes can start doing when the hormones begin to run. If he is other wise acting normal and has no discharge coming from his nares, eyes or any place else you may just want to watch and wait. He could have some food or dust that he is trying to get rid of. And yes drakes do go through mean stages especially when becoming sexually active, does your drake have ducks to keep him company?

Is he wheezing more than one time? doing it alot ? does he have a bucket of water to wash his face and nares[nose] out? and the other part of your question is he is acting very normal my drake who was an only hatched duckling does the pulling on my shorts shirt whatever he can get ahold of, just don't let him start biting you which is another very typical thing drakes can start doing when the hormones begin to run. If he is other wise acting normal and has no discharge coming from his nares, eyes or any place else you may just want to watch and wait. He could have some food or dust that he is trying to get rid of. And yes drakes do go through mean stages especially when becoming sexually active, does your drake have ducks to keep him company?
He does have fresh water and a kiddie pool to dip his face in. He does wheez more than one time a day.. Yeah, I thought it was something to do with him maturing, just wasn't sure because he is my first duck:) And yes, he has a lady friend. Is one lady friend enough for him? Will he get over his 'being mad at me' LOL Thanks!

Last edited:
Any way you could upload a video so we can see and hear this?

My first guess is that it has to do with hormones and coming into sexual maturity.

I could maybe try to get a video of him, but I just go out there to check on him and catch him 'wheezing' randomly. But I will try! Thanks!

He does have fresh water and a kiddie pool to dip his face in. He does wheez more than one time a day.. Yeah, I thought it was something to do with him maturing, just wasn't sure because he is my first duck:) And yes, he has a lady friend. Is one lady friend enough for him? Will he get over his 'being mad at me' LOL Thanks!
Because drakes are so randy when they mature for the sake of your duck I would get him at least a couple more girls or he will wear your duck out mating. 3-4 to 1 is a good ratio. as far as the wheez I think a video may be the best way to tell what this is about. You may want to pick up some poultry vitamins and start adding them to their water. won't hurt your duck to have them especially going into the winter months it will give an immune boost.

Because drakes are so randy when they mature for the sake of your duck I would get him at least a couple more girls or he will wear your duck out mating. 3-4 to 1 is a good ratio. as far as the wheez I think a video may be the best way to tell what this is about. You may want to pick up some poultry vitamins and start adding them to their water. won't hurt your duck to have them especially going into the winter months it will give an immune boost.
Okay thanks!! I don't think I'm going to worry about the wheezing because he's stopped doing that completely! I wouldn't mind a couple more ducks:) I will put some vitamins in their water!

Glad to hear he's stopped, Hope you can find him some girls. keep us updated.
Okay I will! If I do get him some ladies, they're going to have to start out as chicks because there is no one I know of or on Craigslist selling ducks..So if I do I think it would be cool to hatch some of my own. Of course then I wouldn't know if they'd turn out to be male or female. But I don't think the local hatchery sexes ducklings.. So I guess I have just as much of a chance... My duck won't be laying eggs until Spring (too young) and the local hatchery doesn't hatch duck eggs until spring...So..Maybe I just might hatch some eggs! lol Maybe!

Does he stand up straight, do a whistle with his chest out, and kinda wag his tail afterward? It sounds like he's flirting with you and trying to "put you into your place" as one of his females by grabbing onto you.

Back
Top Bottom