Is my chick a he or a she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tylexie, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Tylexie

Tylexie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    I am unsure as to whether or not one of my chicks is a boy. We ordered pullets, but this chick seems like it might be a rooster. He/she is more explorative and energetic than the others. He/she will run toward any hand put into the brooder, and is already trying to escape. I REALLY hope she's a girl, because roosters aren't allowed where I live and I don't want to kill her. She is an Araucana.

Is this behavior just normal chick behavior? Or is it specific to the breed?

Please tell me that she is not actually a he.

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Hi Tylexie,

It's really to early to tell, even though she might seem very energetic it may just be that she's a stronger chick and will grow to be bigger and stronger than the others. You don't have to kill it, you could try to re-home it though.

To answer your question

It is most likely just normal chick behavior and means she's more used to humans and more comfortable around them.

Hope I can help,
    Will

PS: When he/she is older use a card like a business card, put it against their neck feathers. A boy's will be pointy and a girls will be rounded.

3. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Oh, thank you SO much! That's a relief.

4. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Glad I can help

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Your Araucana is probably an Easter Egger. True Araucana are only available via private breeders, and are not sold as sexed pullets.
    The behaviors are pretty normal, and don't necessarily indicate gender.
    If the chick is over 6 weeks old, we may be able to assess gender if you post a picture.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Unless you got your chicks from a breeder your "Araucana" is likely an Easter Egger. The ones we've had vary a lot in personality.

7. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's an easter egger. And it's not more than 6 weeks old. Thanks.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    what ever, if it turns out to be male, find a home for it. Please don't kill it.

9. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    I promise I won't kill it. I will have trouble finding it a home who won't kill it, and that's what I meant when I said I didn't want to kill it. Everyone I've asked so far has said that they will kill it if we give it to them.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Most cockerels are destined for the dinner table. Just a reality. Easter Egger cockerels are a bit easier to find homes for, than most other breeds. But this is part of keeping chickens. Sometimes you end up with a miss-sexed chick, and you need to have a plan for any chicks that do turn out to be male. Usually, that plan means being okay with somebody using that boy as a meal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by