Is my chick a normal size?

chichi56788

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Columbia, SC
I have a 2 week old frizzle/silkie mix chick. She is only about 2 and a half inches tall and 3 inches long. I took a picture of her next to my bantam silkie chick who is also 2 weeks old and she is so small. Is that normal? Both chicks are standing all the way up. I took the picture from above so it looks kind of weird.

56148_imga0369.jpg

Last edited:
She is a tiny thing. I don't think it's anything to worry about though, as long as she is acting normal.......maybe the chick is a little runt. I would observe them, just to make sure the other larger chick is allowing the smaller one to eat and drink......

She seems to be getting along fine and her feathers are coming in normally. do you think she will be small forever, or will she be the size of a normal chicken?

Is she eating and drinking OK? My smallest chick from a few batches ago turned into a GIANT rooster.
Just watch to make sure she isn't getting pushed out of food and water and that she isn't being picked on.

Last edited:
It is funny, Gilly (the little chick) is the one pushing others out of the way and pecking on them. She is eating and drinking fine.

I wouldn't really get concerned about it right now since she is holding her own against the others.
Doesn't sound like Failure to Thrive since she seems to be doing OK other than the fact that she is dainty.
She's really cute.

It's a lovely little chick.

I have found the same as others, the tiny ones often make the biggest adults,

Good Luck,

sandie

Quote:
Once i placed some 2 week old RiR chicks with my BA's and BSL's At first i was worried about them getting picked on till me and my kids noticed the RiR's would walk around with there chest's bowed out like little bulldogs and bully all the big 7 week old birds it was a sight that was to die for.
wink.png

Quote:
Once i placed some 2 week old RiR chicks with my BA's and BSL's At first i was worried about them getting picked on till me and my kids noticed the RiR's would walk around with there chest's bowed out like little bulldogs and bully all the big 7 week old birds it was a sight that was to die for.
wink.png

Size is a relative thing, a lot of little birds make up for it in spunk and speed. You still need to keep an eye on them when they first meet up and for a while afterwards just in case.

I have a rather large Jersey Giant that I'd trust with little ones before any of my production reds. I'd be likely to see little ones getting horse back rides on the Giant but the reds would make hamburger out of little ones.

Back
Top Bottom