Is my chick a ROOSTER?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sweetlime, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetlime

sweetlime New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Hi everyone:

I have three baby chicks, about 3 weeks old. One of them is an Amercauna, and is MUCH larger than the other two. She also is the only one who doesn't like to be picked up, and runs back and forth in the brooder while flapping her wings. I am worried that she may be a he!

At the shop where I purchased her, they said there is no real way to tell if you have a rooster until they crow. But does anyone have experience of figuring out if its a rooster before that? Or maybe the Amercauna is just a larger and more flighty breed?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!W

2. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    A picture would help. We like pictures here. [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi, and WELCOME! IMHO, 3 wks may still be a little soon to tell about the gender of EEs. I have 6 that are now 7 weeks, and I'm just now to the point where I can be reasonably sure that they are indeed all pullets (as they were SUPPOSED to be, but that doesn't always happen, as I know all too well from my Buff Orps and Barred Rock chicks. They were all supposed to be pullets, and I got one BO roo and one BR roo.) If you can post a photo, it would help. [​IMG]

4. sweetlime

sweetlime New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Here are pictures.

She's the one of the right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her comb is pinker than the speckled chick. Also, her legs are thicker.

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's still hard to tell this early. Keep watching and have a plan in place just in case any of these turns out to be a rooster. It's always good to know, just in case, no matter where you get your chicks.

6. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE's were all flighty and crazy as chicks. Of course, most of them were roo's....... [​IMG]

7. sweetlime

sweetlime New Egg

May 5, 2009
    What's EE?

8. eponagirl

eponagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Quiet Corner, CT
    EE is Easter Egger. I am wondering about my 3 week old chicks too, so don't feel bad...I think alot of people are impatient to find out if they have pullets or roos...waiting is tough [​IMG]! They are stinkin' cute though!![​IMG]

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by