1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IS MY CHICK DEAD?? I THINK SO :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    My babies started hatching yesterday, eight so far throughout then and now, but #9...it "pipped", I could see it's little beak, it was moving fine, but then totally stopped. I know they sometimes rest, but it has not budged at all in hours and my biggest concern is occasionally the other chicks peck at the part of the baby that is sticking out. Is this because it's dead and they know it? How am I supposed to get to the egg to help and not mess up my humidity?

Well...I just looked. With the other babies walking around they have rolled the egg to where I can't see the opening anymore but...there is a small puddle of what looks to be yolk under it. I'm assuming it died?
    But if it was alive enough to poke through, and I saw it moving, shouldn't it have already eaten the yolk?

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

I am sorry for the heartache [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]. It may still be alive [​IMG] But I have had chicks that can pip but don't make it all the way through the zipping hatching part! They don't eat the yolk it is absorbed into their stomachs so if you see yolk dripping out it might have had trouble hatching and has passed [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Sometimes they will pip through a vien and not be able to hatch and sometimes if the humidity is to high during incubation they can drown if there is to much moisture in the egg when they hatch. It sounds like you have some cute fuzzies running around though [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Pics are a must [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by