1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is my chick dying should i help it

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bantamweight21, Jan 28, 2013.

1. bantamweight21

bantamweight21 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    Its day 20 and my chick is being incubated by its mother. I heard the chick chirping 4 hours ago now its quiet. I can see the chick as if its gasping for air when i candle the egg. There is no pips. What should i do?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    21 days is "normal" but I'm reading that it can take a little longer sometimes.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Did she pip into the air sac? They do that so they can breathe and then they pip through the shell so they can get fresh air. From internal pip to external pip can take up to 4 hours and the whole hatching process can take up to 24 hours or more. Leave her a bit and see if she makes progress. If she doesn't and it's obvious she needs a little help you can help by making a small hole in the fat end of the egg, in the air sac space for her. When you candle mark the line of the air sac with a pencil so you know where it is. Also have look at this article about assisted hatch for more info on the hatching process and how and when to assist:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

But keep in mind she's a day early and she will need time to get everything in place and absorbed before she can come out. So don't rush her, O.K? Good luck!

4. bantamweight21

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    I will post a pic to let you think how its going

5. bantamweight21

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    I knew it. The chick busted the air sac and suffercated

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    What do you mean? Did it pip into the air sac and then died?

7. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aww... [​IMG]I am the kind of person who gets attached to any animal, even if I have never seen it!! LOL

1 person likes this.
  8. bantamweight21

Oct 29, 2012
    Smiths Al
    Yes it never piped in time. If i would of new it needed help i would have put a hole in the egg. But wasnt sure if i needed to help it or not

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] There was probably something wrong with the chick. It happens sometimes and helping it doesn't make a difference. Does the hen have other eggs to hatch still?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by