Is my chick OK?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AUChick9202, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AUChick9202

AUChick9202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Hi,

I just brought home my baby EE this morning. She was up and moving around at the feed store, but when I got her home she was just laying inside the box. When I put her in the brooder, she just lays there. My other girls when I brought them home...they immediately started pecking around checking out the food and water, but they were a couple of days old when I brought them home. This one is probably only a day old and just came in on the shipment this morning. Just wondering if she is OK...does this sound normal for a day old chick?

Thanks!

2. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    [​IMG]
    Is she in the brooder by herself? When she was at the feed store were there other chicks with her? Maybe shes lonely! You could try holding her and talking to her every chance you get until she's old enough to be put in with the others.Otherwise you might just have to go and get her a playmate or three.

3. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    No...she is in the brooder with my other three. They just walk over her....she pops her head up...then right back down. I called the feed store and he said since she was alone in the box on the way home, she might have gotten cold and is now in a bad "mood"....he said she will either snap out of it or die....Yay! His suggestion was to bring her back and get more than one....I can't get more than one....we only have room for 4 chickens total! So I guess I will just wait and see...

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i had this happen to me she was sorta fine at the store and on the ride home but started getting picked on by the other 4 we got when she tried to cuddle up so i told my daughter to take her out of the box and let her sit in her lap on the towel with the hot water bottle and she peeped and ate a bit and when we got her home she just kinda hung out in the brooder but i thought she was just a little stressed so i gave her some sugar water and that seemed to perk her up but about an hour or so later we lost her she was a teeny tiny banty and was prob weak to start with it was hard to tell the tank they have them in was pretty crowded

5. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Well, I held her and gave her some food out of my hand....she ate a bit.....put her next to the waterer and she drank a little....she seems to be standing up now and moving around some....so **fingers crossed** maybe she is out her "mood".....

6. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Don't forget they are babies and sleep alot too.

Hope she perks up for you.

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    She could be worn out. It took my Maple 3 days to recoup from bringing her home. [​IMG]

8. AUChick9202

Apr 9, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks for the advice! Just an update....

By this evening she was acting normal.....eating, drinking, pooping...and seems to be getting along well with my other girls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by