1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my chick okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tylexie, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Tylexie

Tylexie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    One of my chicks (columbian rock cross) is kind of worrying me. She is constantly sleeping, while the others are running around. She overall sleeps more than the others, and she feels smaller and more fragile than the others. I want to know if she's OK.

Is this behavior normal in a chick? Is she just younger than the others?

They're all a day old and I just got them. Am I just being paranoid?

This chick also has a flat beak on the end (like it was filed off?) instead of coming all the way to a point. It's perfectly flat, which makes me think that it could have been intentionally clipped. But at one day old? Maybe a birth defect?

Please help!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Beak clipping is pretty common practice done shortly after hatching. Usually, it's something that must be requested when ordering chicks. It doesn't really impact the quality of life.
    Electrolytes and vitamins mixed in the water may help perk her up. And make sure the brooder isn't too warm. And understand that even when you do everything right, you can still lose a few.

3. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    My chick is eating and drinking, but she just sleeps a lot. Should I not be worried?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    No. No need to worry.

5. flytie

flytie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    In my experience, chicks do sleep a lot. They're babies and the stress of hatching along with transport just seems to tucker them out.

Congrats on the new chicks btw!

Edit: now that I think about it, lazy gardener brings up a good point... If it were just one of the 3 things I would probably ignore it but because there's more to it, I would look into it as well

6. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Thanks! I already love them, and it's only been a day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Also, one of the chicks (barred rock) chirps extremely loudly every time I leave the room. Is there a reason for this?

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'd be concerned about this chick as well. It would not be at all normal for you to receive a chick that has been debeaked. I'm guessing it's an abnormality. It would be helpful if you could show a pic of a close up of the beak. If it's a noticeable defect, I'd contact the hatchery and ask for a refund. This beak issue, as well as the fact that it is not moving as well as the others, and the fact that you are noticing that it appears fragile, those are 3 strikes against her. Where did you get them? I'd check and see if there is an option to take her back and get a chick that is healthy.

All that being said, I'm guessing that in this case, what you see is what you get. You might want to pick up some Poultry Nutri-Drench. Excellent product. You can give a drop to the chick in question. don't put it directly in her mouth. I simply put it up to the side of the beak, and a bit wicks into the mouth. You can also mix some in their water. Are you giving them electrolytes or sugar in their water? You can make your own electrolyte solution. do a google search for home made gator ade.

9. Tylexie

Dec 11, 2015
    New York
    Here's a picture of her beak up close:
    [​IMG]

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you show side profile? Perhaps with a dark background behind it so it's easier to see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by