Is my chick shrink wraped?! ADVICE NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 6, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    This is my very first time hatching chicken eggs, and im not sure if my chick is shrink wraped or not? Its shell is VERY thin, and when he moved to try and zip more, the of the shell fell away from the rest of the shell. And the blood vessles still have blood in them. He is breathing fine and stuff, but im so worried about him [​IMG]

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I think it will be ok. I think if you try to help you may do more harm. Keep the faith...

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    "Shrink Wrapping" is when the membrane inside the shell dries out and sticks to the chick so that it can't move and get itself out of the egg. It doesn't sound like that's what you're dealing with. (But if it is, you can help it out by gently moistening the exposed dry membrane with a wet paper towel or a careful spritz of water from a spray bottle. (Don't drown the baby though!) It's caused by not enough humidity in the incubator during hatching, usually from opening the lid too much and letting the moisture out, or from just low humidity in there in general.

I would just keep an eye on your chick for now. If it does not seem to be in any distress, leave it alone.

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Ok, thanks. Ive had a shrink wraped duck, but not sure if its the same for both ducks and chickens. Had to help him out, and he is doing fine. Thanks again. And he seems to be ok, hopeing he is out tonight by the time I go to bed [​IMG]

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:Ok, thanks. Ive had a shrink wraped duck, but not sure if its the same for both ducks and chickens. Had to help him out, and he is doing fine. Thanks again. And he seems to be ok, hopeing he is out tonight by the time I go to bed [​IMG]

Its the same idea for both ducklings and chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by