Is my chick sick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Zoom Zoom, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    I have a five week old buff orpington who has started sitting and walking looking puffy - don't know how else to describe it. She is eating and drinking normally and will get up and come to me when I go into the coop but she stays puffy. I've watched her through the window and see that she sits by herself all puffed up. She likes to sit in my lap and when she does, the poofyness goes away. It's almost like she is cold. I noticed this morning that her feet seem cold compared to the others. I also noticed a bit of dark, runny poop but can't say it came from her, she is one of seven chicks. The others are acting normal. Today is the second day of this behavior. Could she be sick or is it possible that she is cold? I thought about turning the heat lamp back on but it is in the high 80s so think that might be too much heat. I can't find any reference to this type of problem and don't know what to do for her. She is such a sweet, lovable little thing and I don't like to think there might be something wrong. Has anyone run across a chick with this problem?I really need some advice.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'd give her some Corid! It sounds like it might be cocci!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Puffing up can be a sign of coccidiosis. It is usually accompanied by poor appetite, chilling, ruffled feathers, and diarrhea (sometimes with blood.) Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1 and 1/2 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5 days. Treat all chicks at once. A five week old may still get cold and need a low wattage heat lamp especially at night unless they are with a broody hen. Usually a group of chicks will huddle together for warmth. Here is a link about coccidiosis: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Rolla, MO
    Thank you both for the information. My chick seems to be back to normal today - no puffing at all and frolocking with the others. Something was definitely not right yesterday though. All my chicks were vaccinated but I will check with my vet to be on the safe side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by