1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my chick what I ordered?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by montverdechick, Mar 23, 2007.

1. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    I ordered a mix of chicks, two of which were supposed to be RIR. I thought they were until I went to my local feedstore and they told me that the rust colored chicks they were selling were RIR. Well, mine are loight yellow with white wings (see attched pic). Am I wrong or are they?

[​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

That's not a RIR. It should be a rust color like the feedstore said. Cute little thing, though!!

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Last year....I got my first RIR/Mix. There was 15 of them, and every one of them was little fuzzy balls of yellow. They are a pretty bunch now....dark reds and browns! I hope its a RIR for ya.

This is one of the little yellow fuzzies all grown up!

[​IMG]

4. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    I just looked on feathersite.com and they showed an Amerucana chick that was light yellow. So, maybe that is what it is. I thought all Amerucanas had the stripe down the back. I am so confused now. My cousins NH Reds were light yellow as well. I thought they were similar to RIRs. So, now my question is, is the following one a RIR or red sex link pullet?

[​IMG]

Is this one an Amerucana?

[​IMG]

And this one?

[​IMG]

At least I know who my Dominiques are!! [​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one looks like a Rhode Island Red chick and the other two look to be Ameraucanas/Easter Eggers. I've never seen a completely yellow RIR chick. Below is a picture of two RIR chicks I hatched a few weeks ago, different colors, but still not yellow.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  6. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I don't think that first picture of the yellow peep is an ameraucana.
    Of the three pictures you posted, I can't say about the first, but the second picture of the peep with the eyeliner definately looks like one.
    The last peep with the mohawk is darling!

7. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see! I'm looking forward to the surprise.

Thanks all for your feedback!

8. montverdechick

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    After a bit of researching and speaking to the Ideal Poultry rep, Ibelieve my mystery has been solved! The white one is a white Amerucana (explains the blue legs!!). The other white one with blue legs is turning a buff color, they said it's a mottled buff Amerucana. The Red Sex Links also look alittle like young Amerucana chicks, but they have pink legs. So, they are now easy to tell apart. I'm so excited at the variety I've received. I took some pictures this morning to show what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]
    My 3 Amerucanas...

[​IMG]
    My buff Amerucana pullet

[​IMG]
    My white Amerucana pullet, Shelby.

[​IMG]
    One of my Red Sex Link pullets

[​IMG]
    One of my RIR pullets

[​IMG]
    And, one of my Dominique pullets. I love the mohawk look!

9. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Love everyones pictures. Hey Justusnak (Deb) your roosters features are so shiny! Did he just get a bath or what? His feathers are beautiful-I can just hear his hens saying "Oooh what kind of shampoo and conditioner do you think he uses" lol. Mary

10. dave3877

dave3877 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2007
    crockett, texas
    if you mix in a part of floating catfish food and a cup of pelleted rice bran it will give all your chickens a gloss in a . i use it to put weight on my flock during the winter months. 3-4 times a week with thier normal layer ration

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by