Is my chicken a male?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Edimcreedi, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Edimcreedi

Edimcreedi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    our chicken is about 6 months old, we thought she wasa female, she isnt cockadoodlin but weve noticed she has started growing that big bobbly bit above her beak, do females get this or is it just the cockrels, shes a red silkie bantam

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    post use pic it well help use help u

3. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I am guessing that by "big bobbly bit" you mean the comb. Yes, males and females have this, although the comb is larger and more pronounced in males. In females, the comb will become larger slowly as they mature and will become more red as the approach laying age. Silkies can be difficult to sex, but if "she's" 6 months old and has just now started to develop it I would guess that she's probably a hen and is just starting to get ready to lay eggs. If you post a picture, people here can tell you whether you have a hen or a rooster on your hands and explain why they think that based on the picture.

4. Edimcreedi

Jan 11, 2012
    Thankyou, I will try and get a picture up tomorrow as we have locked them up for the night.

5. Edimcreedi

Jan 11, 2012
    also we have a silkie gold the same age and it has no comb at all?

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pics of both will greatly help

7. Edimcreedi

Jan 11, 2012
    ok ill get some pictures taken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by