Is my chicken a turkey?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I woke up yesterday to a weird gobbling sound.. Seriously it sounded alot like a sick turkey.. My chicks are 6-8 weeks with 2 possible roos of the 5. I keep hoping they aren't but could the horrible gobble actually be an early crowing ( it was definitely early at 5:30 am before sun up. ) Ugly is an unknown breed.

Thanks

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You're gonna have to post a pic. [​IMG] Some little roosters do make funny noises, but I've never heard one gobble. [​IMG]

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee, the first crow little roos produce are really hilarious. I had one that sounded like a car whose engine failed to turn over.

You would know by now if you had turkies because they'd be HUGE, and they'd have a little fuzzy bump on their foreheads instead of combs. THey almost look like wannabe unicorns.

4. silkie101

silkie101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Plantcity Florida
    Quote:.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
  6. JScatt69

JScatt69 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Even funnier yet is the crow of a Pheasant....The first time my girlfriend heard it she asked if one of my roo's had a sore throat!

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Chickiemom25 Your chick, that you have pictured, is a chick AND it is a cockerel (boy). The noise you are hearing most likely is the start of his crow. [​IMG]

Some sound like they are being strangled, some like squeaker toys, some start in the middle and some lucky boys seem to get it right off the.......er....crow.

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:It's true, they have such a range of first time sounds! I had a little Cochin boy once that tried his first crow when I was in the next room. I panicked because it sounded like someone had stepped on him! So I run into the room with the brooder, and check frantically to see if he's dead, and he just blinks back at me, ruffles his feathers, and makes the godaweful sound again!

Little stinker. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by