Is my chicken broody? how can I tell?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chixruleboysdrool, Feb 18, 2012.

1. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    [​IMG]Just this morning my RIR hen escaped from the pen and burrowed a little hole in a bunch of dead vines. She started picking pieces off of the small vines and putting them around her in a nest shape. Is she broody? What do I do?

2. chixruleboysdrool

chixruleboysdrool Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland,ME
    anyone?[​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Since you keep them in a pen, I'd guess that is where you want them, whether for predator protection, city ordinance, concern about damage they can do to your garden or whatever. Lots of different reasons to keep them in a pen. Since you want her there, put her back in the pen. I'd also fix the pen so she cannot escape,

She's probably not broody, just ran off to hide a nest. There are different signs that a hen might be broody. She spends almost all day and all night on her nest. While on the nest she often sort of flattens out and looks like she is in a trance. A broody is usually very protective of her nest and will fluff up and growl at you if you get close. Usually they will peck you of you stick your hand in there. They usually leave the nest once or twice a day to eat, drink and go poop. While they are off, they walk around fluffed up and do a certain clucking sound, more like puck, puck.

I've had hens do all these things and not be serious about being broody. My test to see if they are really broody and I can trust them to hatch eggs is that they have to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead or roosting in their favorite spot.

If you get a broody, what you do with her depends on what you want. If you want her to hatch chicks, give her fertile eggs. If you don't want her to hatch chicks, there are different techniques ot break her from being broody. But from your description, I really don't think she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by