Is my chicken broody or just a drama queen?

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
My leghorn (Donut) has been on her nest all morning. She has been known to take her time, but not to this extent. She hasn't come out since I opened it up about 5 hours ago.

I've been told broodiness is a bit of a rarity in leghorns, and she's also quite young as well. She's only been laying for a few weeks.

What say you, knowledgeable BYC peeps? Is she just a drama queen or is she wanting to be a mommy?

She's a bit cranky

Probably not. Sometimes they just take extra time - I wouldn’t worry unless you notice straining to poop, walking like a penguin or lethargy. Taking a long time to lay or not laying at all doesn’t always indicate egg binding. Leghorns are bred to lay tons of eggs (BIG ones) and I personally believe it takes a time on their little bodies. Also check the vent - make sure it looks ok.

Last edited:
My leghorn (Donut) has been on her nest all morning. She has been known to take her time, but not to this extent. She hasn't come out since I opened it up about 5 hours ago.

I've been told broodiness is a bit of a rarity in leghorns, and she's also quite young as well. She's only been laying for a few weeks.

What say you, knowledgeable BYC peeps? Is she just a drama queen or is she wanting to be a mommy?

She's a bit cranky
Looks broody.

Probably not. Sometimes they just take extra time - I wouldn’t worry unless you notice straining to poop, walking like a penguin or lethargy. Taking a long time to lay or not laying at all doesn’t always indicate egg binding. Leghorns are bred to lay tons of eggs (BIG ones) and I personally believe it takes a on their little bodies. Also check the vent - make sure it looks ok.
They are such skinny chickens compared to my others, I'm always amazed at the size of their eggs. I will check her vent once I can get her out of there without losing a finger 😅

Her yelling at me is what made me really question it, usually she doesn't care or mind me checking in for eggs even if she is still there. I haven't had a broody chicken before though, so I have nothing to go off of 🤷‍♀️
Here's a test. Take her off the nesting box, & listen to her cluck pattern, if she sounds like a ticking time bomb, then she's broody. Also if she goes back to the next will also give you your answer.

Back
Top Bottom