Is my chicken broody or just a drama queen?

Update on what happens?
Sorry for the delay, but we're good. I took her off and she squawed at me a bit and then wandered off. She did lay and her vent looks fine. I'm assuming if she was broody she would have gone back to the nest but she's happily wandering the yard now. I have no idea why she was on there so long. 🤷‍♀️ Just a bit of unnecessary drama it seems 😂

Sorry for the delay, but we're good. I took her off and she squawed at me a bit and then wandered off. She did lay and her vent looks fine. I'm assuming if she was broody she would have gone back to the nest but she's happily wandering the yard now. I have no idea why she was on there so long. 🤷‍♀️ Just a bit of unnecessary drama it seems 😂
She could have been feeling lazy, & grouchy.

I guess my girl is an oddity? Some say leg horns aren't known for being broody but my white leg horn Sonic is by far my broodiest girl of all my assortment. She goes broody at least 3 times a year and sounds like a velociraptor from Jurassic park when we go near her nest. She's done it since her first laying season ( she's 3 now). If we take everyones eggs from her she will run around and be back to laying but if we let her sit for more then 2 days she's determined to hatch something, ( including a rock one year). She's our best momma out of all 15 girls😁.

I think I kind of panicked because we cannot do chicks right now at all 😂😂 I'm glad she was just lounging, that's for sure!
Even after 7 years, if I see a bird too long in the nest I get kind of anxious.
Have to tell myself, "wait until dark before assuming".

I am updating this again because I'm not sure what is up with her honestly. She is taking forever to lay every day now, 5+ hours but then she comes out and goes about her day. Ok, she just likes to take her time. But today she laid her egg and went out and about around 2pm, then went back to the coop around 6... and has been sitting in that nest since. The other chickens are starting to roost for the night and she's still in there.

What the heck? I've never had an issue with them sleeping in the nesting boxes, so why now if she isn't broody?

Back
Top Bottom