1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is My Chicken Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatieG509, Feb 1, 2017.

1. KatieG509

KatieG509 New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Westminster, Colorado
    Hello! My husband and I have 4 hens, all about 10 months old. Our California White has been acting weird all week. She was lethargic on Monday, so I stayed home to treat her for being egg bound. She didn't lay an egg after treatment, but perked back up and started pooping like normal, so I figured she was ok and put her back outside.
    Now, she's been guarding the coop, so much so that the other chickens have been pecking on her. She hasn't laid an egg since Saturday. I haven't noticed any other behaviors, but I am at work most of the day.
    So... broody? Sick? Something else?
    Thanks!

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Doesn't sound broody. Broody hens usually don't get picked on, they are usually the ones doing the picking. And broodies don't guard the whole coop. They pick a spot and sit, all day and night, only leaving to once or twice a day to eat, drink, and poo.

3. KatieG509

KatieG509 New Egg

Jan 5, 2017
    Westminster, Colorado
    Hm. Maybe they're just jealous she got to be inside overnight?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    More likely reestablishing pecking order. Removing a flock member, even for a day can upset the social order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by