is my chicken broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quailss, Nov 27, 2010.

1. quailss

quailss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    My chicken was sitting in its nestbox the whole day yesterday and today but it came out to eat in the morning but i checked and there was no eggs.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    She may be. What breed and how old? If she is broody you'll soon see the infamous broody poo out in the chicken yard. They usually only come off the nest once a day to eat/drink/poo and maybe take a quick dust bath. They don't poo in the nest so after holding it all day it's really large and stinky. As far as no egg goes it doesn't really matter. I've had lots of broody hens sitting on nothing but shavings. I prefer to break mine by putting them in a wire bottom rabbit hutch for a few days with food/water but nothing to make a nest out of if I'm not going to let them sit on eggs or give them chicks.

3. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens did the same. My blog posts from 10/28 through 11/13 describe my attempts to break her broody mood.

I had success using the method Kittymomma describes.

4. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    my broody does poo in the nest but only up in one corner is that not normal?
    in answer to OP if you go near her does she start clucking? & if you take her off does she try peck you & fluff up her neck feathers. as that is a good indication of a broody hen. i have always done the wire cage aswell & it works quite well to break them usually only takes 3 or 4 days. my broody i have now sitting on eggs i tried to break her twice & she still insisted on sitting so i gave her some eggs. another thing ive heard that works is to use a spray bottle with cool water & spray her butt with it. or have a bucket of cool water & dunk her butt 1st into it a couple of times.

5. quailss

quailss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2010
    it is a japanese bantam breed

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on the nest at night or up on the roost?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by