Is My Chicken Broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meowteri2, Feb 15, 2012.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I have a buff orpington and a barred rock in a 12 sq. ft. growing pen in my garage. It has a nest box attached to it. I got them in june and I will integrate them in the large coop with 5 other chickens as soon as it warms up a little more.
    The buff has stayed in the nest box for the last 4 days. I pick eggs eveyday so there never has been any for her to start a cluch.
    The buff and the rock have not laid eggs in the last 4 days. The rock just kinda stands by the buff in the nest. She will get out of the nest and eat when I show her the treat dish or a bowl of scatch. This is my 3rd year with chickens and never seen this behavior before. I read the poo really stinks when they are broody. Her poo does stink up half the garage now.
    Is there any thing special I should be doing ? I would be thankfull for any info .

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you don't have a rooster or want to get fertile eggs it's really better to break them from being broody. BOs go broody a lot.
    The longer they're broody the harder it is to break it.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Sounds to me like she is. Does she sleep in there?

4. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Maybe if I take her out of there and let her run around outside. It is funny because when she was running around in her pen she would try to get away from me. Know that she sits in the nest I can pet her and she does not move.

5. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Yes as far as I know she is always in there. But I am glad she come out to eat.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens will come out to eat, drink and defecate every day. They've been going broody for millions of years and have yet to starve themselves to death. If they did they wouldn't exist.

7. meowteri2

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Now the barred rock is going by her and pecking on her comb. They used to run around the pen with out any problems before.It is almost like the barred rock is trying to get her out of there. She stands by her most of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by