Is my chicken cold or lonely? Will buying it a friend shut it up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mikeshole, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Mikeshole

Mikeshole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2009
    Ive got a small silkie that I keep in my room.

[​IMG]

He or she poops way too much and Id like to get it used to being outside and not treated like a human baby all the time. So I keep it on my balcony.

I feel bad for it because it sits by the door or in a corner. Should I go buy it a friend? Is it cold? The weather in El Paso Texas is between 60 and 30 degrees day and night. I'm going to build a small coup with a light so that should take care of that.

My other question is: This chicken sounds like a broken shopping cart. Its cute, but when its alone it'll chirp as if it were screaming. I'm afraid of buying him a friend and listening to them talk to each other all day all night. This is my most important question and if anyone has an answer I hope its to this.

I appreciate this community for being here. Thanks in advance.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    A friend would help but wait until you hear him crow.

The temps are fine.

3. Mikeshole

Jan 15, 2009
    God I hope my silkie is a female. Is there anyway to tell or do I just have to wait for that one magical morning?

4. jBlaze

jBlaze Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Oregon
    sounds desperately lonely to me.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Ummmm....it sorta sounds like you're really not "into" the chicken thing much...can I ask what you plan on doing with this chicken? Just curious; there are lots of folks on here with lots of experience to help!!

6. Mikeshole

Jan 15, 2009
    No, I love the little jerk its just that I wasn't expecting a chicken to be so needy. I feel buying another one would just be like doubling down.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    They're most definitley flock critters; they need friends! Can't help you with the sexing question, but if you can get a few more pics & post it on the "what breed or gender is this" section you should get lots of replies! Make sure to indicate the age, too.

8. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    AAWWWW, pleeeeaaase get him a friend, or better, give him to someone who does not worry about the "broken shopping cart". There's probably plenty of folks right here on BYC who'd take him/her, if you get tired of him. Just don't leave him all by himself on the balcony, that's too sad. How'd you end up with one silkie, anyway?

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Chickens are very social animals and always do better if kept in groups of two or more. Definitely get your Silkie a friend. It will be so much happier and more content.

I also would like to welcome you to our wonderful forum!
    [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    if you are going to move her outside..she will need another chicken to spend time with...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by