Is my Chicken Drunk? with video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augustiner05, Dec 25, 2010.

1. augustiner05

augustiner05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2010
    Hello All!
    I am in need of some advice! I have 7 chicks and they are exactly 2 months old today. I notice that one, an Easter egger I think, looks quite wobbly on her feet. She looks almost drunk. She takes a few steps and gentle leans/falls back then settles forward then ruffles her feathers out. The other 6 are all running around and look fine. Any ideas? I am new to chickens so and advice is greatly appreciated.
    Merry Christmas!
    :

you can see for yourself here:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Merry Christmas !!!!
    sorry to hear about your baby....
    unless your chick has been out celebrating i don;t know for sure what it could be,
    maybe parasites.... you could give a couple drops with an eyedropper of ivermectin between the shoulder blades
    keep us posted

3. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i just watched the video....
    i'm really still thinkin parasites
    what kind of chickens are they?
    they seem big for 2 months old

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you get them from a hatchery? It might be a good idea to bring her in to the house so you can observe her better and get her away from the others till you know what it could be. What are you feeding them and were they vaccinated?

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Are you giving her any vitamins/electrolytes?? I would. She may just be lacking in something nutrient wise and that could help her out immensely.

6. augustiner05

Oct 28, 2010
    Hello! I got them from mypetchicken i believe she is an Easter Egger thats what i ordered at least. I am sure they are 2 months i have had them that long, they arrived one day old. I brought her inside, in a nice quarantine box. She is eating and drinking. Just seems dazed and wobbly. I dont have electrolytes should i add sugar to the water? Gatorade? I have Canamins-P powedered multi vitamin supplement for exotic birds. Oh and i have DE! What do you guys think! Thanks again!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd use the powered supplement for exotic birds, and are they vaccinated for Mareks? What is your coop like is it dirt floor, Might want to do some research on Mareks, I know it's scarey, but I am not sure at 2 months it could be worms but if they have been running around outside on the ground thats a possibility also. Could she have eaten something moldy or rotten that maybe the other birds didn't get? just trying to throw this out to think about and cross off. Also does this supplement have the b12 in it? Also E I have seen some on here recommend those for leg problems.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  8. augustiner05

Oct 28, 2010
    Hey guys!
    I have been feeding her vitamins and egg yolks for a few days now, keeping her warm and away from her rowdy sisters. There has been no improvement, perhaps she is even a bit worse off. She is eating very little and just lays on her side most of the time. Any more advice, I don’t know what else to do!
    Thanks again!

9. I am not a vet. So take this for what this is worth. I watched the video and first thing that popped into my little brain was "mereks". I have seen one chicken in my life with mereks and one of the key effects was the sitting down to stop the "wobbly" & "woosey". And I might add that is what the pullet did in your video. I think you should take what I am diagnosing with a grain of salt. I am only basing it on my ONE experience.

I hope she gets better for you. I would recommend keeping her away from the others for sure. Vinegar in water won't hurt either.

10. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I would keep up on vitimans but keep an eye to see if 1 leg is parilized or if she does not us it as much. Have you seen her do the splits?Lets hope its vitimans but you might look or google Mareks. That does NOT mean she has it but keep an eye on what she is doing. Good luck!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by