Is my chicken dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shalmeno, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Shalmeno

Shalmeno New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a five month old black sex link who I'm concerned about. She is not voluntarily roosting. She goes into a corner and just sits. Also some background I started everything backwards and I am still building their coop. Weather turned cold this week and it has barely stopped raining for three days. Temperatures overnight have been in low 40s. Have put tarp over run and put heating bulb in run lamp. Any thoughts on why she's so lethargic? I have noticed some days it takes her a long time to lay. She will sometimes nest for 30 minutes or more before laying an egg.

2. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    hmmm maby shes just trying to warm up?

3. Shalmeno

Shalmeno New Egg

Oct 7, 2011
    I have considered the warmth issue and have moved her to a slightly warmer and much drier area for the night. Just hoping she's not ill.

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    dose she sleep in an nest box on on an pearch?

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Could it be possible that she is egg bound?

6. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
  7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's funny that as soon as rain was mentioned I thought "cocci". I guess great minds think alike, happyhens120. Birds are never too old to get cocci, contrary to what we believe. My hens were 2 years old when they had their round of it during a particularly soggy summer. Chickens get used to a certain amount of it through constant exposure, but during certain times it can reach problematic levels and cause chickens' systems to get overwhelmed. I am thinking your bird may be overloaded with cocci in the absence of any other symptoms. A quick course of treatment shouldn't hurt her even if cocci is not the problem. You may need to discard her eggs for a few days, but that is a small price to pay if it saves your bird.

I wouldn't be too concerned about her taking so long in the nesting box. She's a newish layer, so it can take a while for her to get her laying routine tweaked. (I have a bird that takes about 2 hours in the nesting box. The other birds get really annoyed with her because she always parks herself in the favorite box.)

I hope she recovers. Good luck.

8. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Quote:Agreed! I'm somewhat of a newbie (only been at this chicken thing 6 months or so), but I read all I can about them and that's the first thing I thought of too.

9. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    check her crop! make sure she's not impacted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by