Is my chicken dying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rslkbracher, Aug 20, 2014.

1. rslkbracher

rslkbracher New Egg

Apr 21, 2013
    One of my Brahma hens is standing in the corner of the coop with her tail feathers tucked & is panting. She won't move or eat from my hand. Is she ok? What can I do for her?
    She is 1 of 7 in the flock, all are 1 1/2 yrs old & have laying for about a year.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can't take her to a vet, bring her inside, put on a glove, lube your finger and very gently check the inside of her vent for a stuck egg. If there is a stuck egg, give give her a tums or calcium pill orally, turn your water heater to high, turn on your shower and fill the room with steam, stick her in there and let her try to pass the egg.

These might help you to check for an egg or masses.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can't feel an egg, do a thorough exam... Make note of the size and feel of her crop and belly, check for mites and lice, listen for gurgling, look closely at her eye, mouth and throat and do a smell check as well.

Is she panting or just breathing through her mouth? Any pictures would be helpful.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by