Is my chicken egg-bound?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kneedles, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    I am currently very concerned about the condition of my only adult hen. It is currently noon where I am, but she has not left the place where she lays her eggs a single time today. When I try to check on her, she shrieks at me; more noisily than what is usual. She has never stayed in her laying place for this long before, except when she went broody, which I doubt is the case here (she only started laying eggs again a few weeks ago). Could she be egg-bound?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sure sounds like broody behavior.

3. Kneedles

Kneedles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    That is probably what it is, then. I just removed her from her nesting place; she was acting normally when she was on the ground, with no sign of being limited in her movement.
    I am not sure why she would go back to being broody so quickly after she started laying eggs again (she was taking care of some surrogate chicks, but they are old enough to be independent of her now).

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds like you've got a serial broody on your hands!

If you don't want her to hatch more eggs, might be good to break her before she gets too settled in.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by