1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my chicken injured or sick???????????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TweetyNPetey, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a California White hen, the only one of the flock, I love her a lot. I went out a while ago and saw she is losing lots of feathers and it sounds like she hurt her wing. Whenever i pick her up, i put my hand over her wings to keep her from flapping, and she squaks like crazy until i take my hand off. She is losing feathers on her neck, back, and wings, well, basically everywhere. I thought she might be molting, but none of the others are losing feathers. Can you help???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she being pecked at??

She can be molting when the others aren't. I have 1 chicken that is molting right now while the other 7 aren't.

3. TweetyNPetey

No, I don't think she's being pecked at. I heard that when one chicken molts, all the others of the flock do. But i hope her wing isn't broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop

Can you take her to the vet to see about her wing???

5. TweetyNPetey

Since I am not even old enought to be on this website (sorry!!! but i love forums!) My mom does not like to pay money just for something that might not even be serious. I' don't think it's broken, i think she just might have sprained it. I'll keep you updated daily!!

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    My chickens molt at different times so she could be the only one molting. I had a chicken that must have sprained it's wing because she favored it for about a week and it hung down a little lower than her other wing. Keep an eye on your girl, make sure she is eating & drinking. Maybe some vitamins in the water. Good luck & hope she is better soon.

7. TweetyNPetey

I will post a video of me picking her up, so you guys can hear her scream... :( (i hope she's okay!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by