Is my chicken likely to still be alive

rubydiamond

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 13, 2011
We own two chickens that were given to us, and they have become very much a part of the family. They are free range and have a coop at night and live happily with our two cats and labrador dogs and they are regularly found walking into our house for whatever titbits may have dropped on the floor.

We've grown so attached to them they are such characters. Hence why I am writing this at 1am! One of them didnt come home tonight.
sad.png

Usually when we call them they both come running, but tonight neither did at first, then one strolled out of the hedge, perfectly fine but the other was nowhere to be seen. We searched everywhere, there are no signs of feathers or anything and I would have thought we'd have seen something, or that we'd have lost both if it was a fox, since they are always together. We last saw them at around 3.30pm and our dogs roam free so they act as guard dogs for the chickens who happily sit with them on the house steps. We never heard any commotion either and I know they make a right racket if they percieve a threat since if friends dogs have been in our yard they go mental, before they even get close to them, squawking and clucking..

The one that returned I think had been in next doors apple orchard and so we searched over there, but I have to say we didnt look up, more we were looking for a roaming chicken. Is it likely the chicken would roost over there.. she always normally comes home but lately she has been sitting on her eggs a bit and so her behaviour has been a bit different. Maybe I am clutching at straws here, but we are all so upset. My daughter even said she'd give up all her toys just to have "diamond" back...

Her wings arent clipped, we've never needed to since they are so tame. I am hoping against hope but any ideas where we might look would be greatly appreciated.. people would probably laugh that I was out with a torch looking for a chicken but we've grown so attached to them.

Thanks for reading

Denise:(

The last time I had a chicken do that, she came back a month later with chicks in tow. If she has been acting like she wants to be broody, and you denied her that, she very well may have sneaked off somewhere, laid some eggs, and is happily sitting on them right now. Go looking through the underbrush, briars, in flowerbeds, anywhere big enough for her to hide laying down, and you may just find her. She could also have roosted in a tree.

Hi

We don't have a rooster so she can't have chicks, but yes we have stopped her being broody, several times weve helped her off the nest to stop her sitting all day. She is the cleverest hen of the two as well and I do know they must lay eggs somewhere else since they always lay at least one each a day and in some cases we've had three between the two, and when they've spent the whole day out we dont get any in the coop.

Well fingers crossed tomorrow she shows.. their coop is just outside my bedroom window and normally they start making a fuss when it gets light to come out, so I expect if the other is going to return we'll hear her in the morning.. I think I'll let the dogs out early so if she does come back she has a bit of protection. Otherwise I can see me crawling through the undergrowth looking for her
smile.png

Thanks

Denise

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

We found her, she'd somehow got herself stuck in the gap in the tailgate of our lorry (it was up) and so didnt have enough room to fly out. We went round there last night but all was quiet, and then I called her this morning and heard a little "bok""bok""bok" and there she was.

She was so relieved to see me, I picked her up and put her safelty in her run. The other chicken was making such lovely cooing sounds when she saw her.

Thanks to all who replied to me, and just goes to show, sometimes it can be a happy ending!

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Glad you found her. I had a hen that got locked out for a night,and she made it despite all the predators.

Back
Top Bottom