Is my chicken lonely?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Balfour Girl, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Balfour Girl

Balfour Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Balfour BC Canada
    A few weeks ago I lost one of my two pet chickens to a predator. I decided to give the remaining chicken away. Unfortunately my tough little cookie proceeded to beat the stuffing out of the three chickens at her new home so I grabbed her up and took her back to my house. She's been alone for the past couple of weeks and I'm afraid to get her a new chicken companion in case she beats it up (a neighbour offered me a beautiful buff Chantecler rooster), and so I'm going to the coop three or four times a day to visit her. She's always just sitting on her roost or on top of the nesting boxes. She is eating well, laying - though sporadically - and seems healthy. What do you think?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    maybe she needs a boyfriend!

3. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    she probably is lonely and a little depressed. maybe if you introduced 2 others in a cage in her cage for about a week it might help her accept them. thats what i always do. or i bought a duck and the ducks are just as tough! [​IMG]

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    I am sorry about the loss. You can always introduce her slowly. Keeping the new one or two seperate but close enough to see them. Then after time put them together to see how it goes. Chickens tend to like to snuggle at night. It keeps them warm and such. I am not an expert but I think you can do it in your own area. Maybe she was nervous with the new surroundings and fought. Good luck with everything.

5. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    That is too funny stumble_n_mumble! we posted at the same time with the same info. [​IMG]

6. How can you "eat" just one chicken !! They are like potato chips !!

I would say get 5 more at least. This way the flock is fully integrated and the pecking order gets established.

7. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    We're having the same problem here. We had two hens in the coop, and one was stolen [​IMG]
    Our remaining hen, Lupe, seems depressed and lonely. She doesn't come out of the coop much. We have a couple chicks that should be ready to go out to the coop in a couple weeks. Hopefully, she'll feel better when her new roomates arrive [​IMG]

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They like a flock! Get her a friend or two, and keep the new one(s) in a dog crate for a while till they warm up to each other.... then, let em work it out.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They do better in flocks... I'd get her at least 4 or 5 to play with. Too bad she hasn't gone broody... then you could put chicks under her.

10. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Geez, maybe by now she will be so happy to see another chicken face, she won't be aggressive. Introduce any new ones at night, they are roosting and not likely to fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by