Is my chicken lonely?

xjchief

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
She's seems kinda lonely and I'm worried about her. I really don't want another chicken but I also want my chicken to be happy. Any thoughts on having just one bird?

Chickens tend to be social creatures. We have one that stays in the house. She has adopted us as her chicken people. I would give her a lot of attention if you don't want more than one. Hope that helps or maybe someone will chime in with a better idea
smile.png

I know my chicks scream and cry when they are separated from their buddies. Some chicks won't calm down while we are loving on them until we get one of their buddies.

How is yours acting that makes you think that it is lonely?

I've had Only 2 .... they were so happy together...did EVERYTHING together. I felt better when they were out free ranging too ...
I'd hear a squwack if something ever happened I told mysel ... or a hawk can't get 2 at a time right?
Then someone said - chicken are like potato chips, you can't hae just 1 ! Then someone else said " you need at least 4 to warm up a coop"...
sounded good to me so I am up to 6, 7th coming in 2 weeks ......sigh.

I would think yes, she may be lonely.

I think the most I'm allowed to have is two by law. She just wants so badly to come in the house all the time and I thought if she had another hen to socialize with she may learn to be happier in the yard. The 30 days is to make sure the other chicken doesn't have any health issues?

Quote:
I hope you don't mind The Chicken People and please add any to mine.

I do believe that is what the 30 days is for. To make sure the new addition does not have something that might affect your already owned hen. It can seem like a long time but it is worth the wait, especially when you are already attached to your chicken....large flock or not.
smile.png

Chickens are very social creatures and need to be in a flock. Two chickens can be a flock. One chicken can literally die of lonliness. For now, to your girl, you are her flock. That is why she wants to come in with you. Until you can get her a friend, she needs a lot of attention from you. But mostly she needs another chicken.
I know there are many that will disagree with me, but I think 10 days is plenty of time for a quarantine. Check the new chicken over carefully for mites/lice and dust with DE. Watch it carefully for the first week. If that chick is sick you will know it in that amount of time. If there is something going on that doesn't show up in the first 10 days, it may not show up in the first 30 days either. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom