Is my chicken molting AND laying?

LegoVasavouchi

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Oklahoma
I am so confused, two of my birds went through molts and didn't lay for at LEAST six weeks, which I considered totally normal and fine. Then, my Easter Egger started a soft molt... but then began laying again after only three weeks. And just recently my Barred Rock started laying after just over a week of soft molting. She still has a slightly bare patch on her rump! This has me worried, since I don't think she got enough down-time from egg-laying, and if she's somehow splitting her energy between molting and laying, well that's just not good! Maybe I just mis-read the molt? False molt?? I'm honestly at a loss. I just want to know if this has happened to anybody else before, and if there's something wrong with my birds - or are they just speed molters??

Sometimes during the more soft molts hens continue to lay. They are real troopers!! So, don't worry about your hens. Yes, it's common for them not to lay during the molt but it's also not uncommon with some chickens.

I like your avatar!!

Last edited:
Whew! Well that's a huge relief then! Thanks so much. :') I've been making sure to give them some protein-rich snacks to help with molting, but I fully expected to get no eggs from the molting ladies!

Heehee, thank you! I actually have a chicken blog... so I posted some pictures of chickens with bows on it, my Polish hen made the ANGRIEST face, but looked so cute!

Thanks again, very relieved to hear there's nothing wrong with my girls. <3

Whew! Well that's a huge relief then! Thanks so much. :') I've been making sure to give them some protein-rich snacks to help with molting, but I fully expected to get no eggs from the molting ladies!

Heehee, thank you! I actually have a chicken blog... so I posted some pictures of chickens with bows on it, my Polish hen made the ANGRIEST face, but looked so cute!

Thanks again, very relieved to hear there's nothing wrong with my girls. <3
Good. And yes, protein filled foods are a must during the molt so good job!

Back
Top Bottom