is my chicken molting or is she sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueseal, Feb 10, 2009.

1. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i have a 20 month old buff orp hen shes lost most her feathers on her neck and breast and she been standing around in a sloutching stance with her butt drooping towards the floor is this a normal part of molting or is she sick. she looks all pinny like. looks terrible.

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't answer for sure.... but if she's standing with her rear down, it sounds as if she's sick. Is she eating and drinking normally? Will she take treats if you offer them? Are her droppings normal?
    I'll bump this up and perhaps someone more knowledable will answer. [​IMG]

Carla

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she the only one doing this?

4. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:YES SHES THE ONLY ONE THAT LOOKS THAT WAY

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How old are the rest of your chickens? 18 months is about the time they do a full molt, and wouldn't you mope if you lost all your hair too? [​IMG]

6. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:lol yeah i would .my other chickens are 8 months to 3yrs old. shes the onlyone molting i guess.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

It certainly sounds like it. She probably has like 4 feathers left in odd places, and acts really angry all the time. Sits ther glaring at the others that have feather and won't lay eggs. Yeah she is molting [​IMG]

8. blueseal

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    Quote:makes sense now.she is 20 months old. she was hatched june of 2007. shes been molting for atleast a month or 2. how long does it last.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by