is my chicken okay?? PLEASE ANSEWR!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickies49, Dec 25, 2016.

1. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    I am worried about my 12 week Wyandotte. this morning she was lying under a bush all the time and not eating,while everyone else pecked played and scratched . later on she got a bit better but still seemed to lie down a lot.she also was on the roost earlier tho I think that's cause it rained. I don't know if im imagining it but I think that there might be a sort of bump on her chest but I think it was always there and I never not6iced it. also can anyone tell me if shes a girl or bo?
    thanks[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd say its a pullet (I don't see any pointed hackle feathers).

Do you have any vitamin supplements / electrolytes? If so, put that in their water as it may help perk her up a bit. One of my 3 month old pullets was looking a bit "dull" last week, but after a couple of days of vitamin supplements, she was ok.

If you don't have any vitamin / electrolytes to hand - here's a recipe that i found here on BYC:

Electrolyte formula:7g sodium chloride (NaCl, common salt)5g sodium bicarbonate (baking soda)3g potassium chloride (commonly called "Muriate of Potash". Salt substitutes contain mostly potassium chloride)40g glucose (a common source is corn syrup)2 liters water.

Even if you don't have every ingredient, I'd go with what you have.

3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Pullet....How cold is it outside?

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

I would give her some extra vitamins to see if she perks up. Also try giving her wet chick starter with some egg or tuna mixed in.

What does her poop look like? If you don't see a marked improvement after a day or two with vitamin support, then you may want to treat for Cocci. Corid can be found at your local feed store.

You mention that she has a lump on her chest - compare it to the others - I suspect that it is the crop you are feeling. Feel the crop when she goes to roost (night) - it should be full, then feel it first thing in the morning-it should be empty. If the crop has not emptied or her breath smell sour, then we need to look at some type of crop issue.

Keep us posted.

5. chickies49

chickies49 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks everyone for answering! this morning she has been all right but I feel like she's not her normal self ,still lying down more than the others.I do not have any vitamins but I will try the wet crumble mixed with egg and tuna.i felt her crop and it was empty so I think its okay. when I feed treats to my chooks she dosnt really eat it while everyone else is fighting to eat . I tried putting the treats right in her face,pushing the others away but she still didn't eat. tried taking photo of her poo but I don't think shes eaten much so isn't pooing a lot so I will post a photo later.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She could be lower in pecking order and is being pushed away or bullied from feed/water.

Watch the flock interactions to see if she is even eating/drinking. If she is not, then separate her so you can monitor her more closely. A dehydrated chicken can act lethargic, so getting liquids into her is important. Once she is hydrated and has eaten, if she does not perk up, then usually something else is going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by